Sunday, January 24, 2010

atheist buses


The atheist bus campaign in the UK, supported by people like Richard Dawkins, above, has been publicised all over the world, and is appearing elsewhere - apparently my own country now has a few of the same.

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

To me, this is just another example of how people like Dawkins do not have a CLUE as to my motivations as a Christian/religious person.

I am not worried. I LOVE my life. I am a very happy person.

I didn't lie in bed last night worrying that God will smite me because I told a lie yesterday, which, for some reason, is an image that a lot of non-believers seem to have of Christians.

I didn't lie in bed last night clenching my fists, squeezing my eyes shut, thinking "Must. Rid. My. Mind. Of. Sinful. Desires." or "Must Make Myself Want Things I Don't Want."

I lay in bed, relaxed, thinking, "Thank you, God, for making life so amazing. Thank you for giving me so many good things."

If the atheist bus campaign is aimed at "converting" people from religion - which the message seems to imply - I think it is a waste of money, and it is one of the least convincing messages for atheism that I have ever heard.

No comments: